Dear neighbours,

I would like to invite you to an exhibition of my panoramic drawings of Myddleton Road and the New River at Bruce Castle Museum in Tottenham.
The exhibition is on, and will be on until 29th October. On Wednesday 31st May 7.30pm I will give a free gallery talk at the museum about the exhibition and hope to see you.

You can watch a 2 minute movie about the project here: https://vimeo.com/214521706

These days we spend so much time on our phones, exchanging information and communicating with distant people – yet at the same time being by ourselves. It is the personal and physical connection with a place which is the heart of this project. It is about being part of a local community and engaging with reality.

Drawing is a way of observing the world and being totally present. During the 6 months it has taken to draw the panoramas, I have been intrigued by the changing architectural styles along the street, by the shop fronts representing different periods of time, diverse cultures and distinct aesthetic tastes. Over this period of creating the panoramas, 3 shops have changed or newly opened.

The panoramic format is very old. In the mid-19th century it was popular for people to go and see huge, immersive panoramas of landscapes and historical events in special cylindrical buildings. This was an early version of ‘3D’ cinema. The panoramas of Myddleton Road represent many walks in the road. Hopefully they will serve as an historical document of the street as it was in 2016/17. Drawing the street, rather than viewing via Google Earth or Streetview, is about slowing down and looking properly at things – and that is true for myself, the artist, and for you, the viewer..

The exhibition is free and open Wed – Sun, 1 – 5pm

Artist-led free events will include:
Gallery talk - Wednesday 31st May, 7.30pm
Drawing workshop for adults - Saturday 9th September, 10.30am - 1pm
Gallery talk (part of Open House Weekend) - Sunday 17th September, 2.30pm

Bruce Castle Museum
Lordship Lane, N17 8NU
London
Underground: Wood Green/Seven Sisters
National rail: Bruce Grove
Bus: 243/123/318

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't wait to see it! Congratulations, Gabriela.

Thank you Emma. Hopefully see you tomorrow evening at the Gallery talk. (Wednesday 31st May 7.30) .x

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...