Does anyone have any information as to why the stairs on our new pedestrian footbridge at Wilmer Way, Bowes Road (NCR) junction have had the stairs closed for over a month now?

We heard that someone had jumped from the stairs?

Views: 5348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two permit applications have NOW been added to the TFL Register of Works website

1. Location: Wilmer Way, Southgate. left filter lane junction with the A406
Reference: YG422335047
Works owner: Transport For London, 0845 305 1234,
Street authority: Enfield
Start date: Friday 18/11/2016
End date: Saturday 19/11/2016
Description: Willmer Way footbridge maintenance works

2. Location: Ollerton Road, Southgate. junction with the A406
Reference: YG422333353
Works owner: Transport For London, 0845 305 1234
Start date: Tuesday 01/11/2016
End date: Wednesday 02/11/2016

Re: Location: Wilmer Way, Southgate. left filter lane junction with the A406
Reference: YG422335047
Works owner: Transport For London, 0845 305 1234,
Start date: Friday 18/11/2016
End date: Saturday 19/11/2016

During these works on 18th/19th November the Night Bus service on Route N91 is being diverted via Alderman's Hill and Bowes Road. Ask the driver/operator for details when boarding as bus stops on Wilmer Way will NOT be served

The following is reproduced from the Bowes Labour web site

Monday, 28 November 2016
GLA rep message re Bowes Road footbridge
we do have an obligation under the Crime and Disorder Act to take all reasonable precautions to prevent crime and antisocial behaviour on the transport network and our property. Our Crime Reduction Unit have subsequently visited this site and while there were no signs of needles or anyone begging during our site visit, there were indications that someone has been using the space under the ramp walkway on the Ollerton Road side of the footbridge, along with some litter.

I would recommend that anyone witnessing criminal behaviour, or evidence of criminal behaviour, should report it directly to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) – by dialling 101 – who carry out patrols on an intelligence led basis. We have written to the MPS’ Safer Neighbourhood Team for Enfield to make them aware of our findin

gs.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards”

James Potts
Research Support Officer to Joanne McCartney AM for Enfield and Haringey

LONDONASSEMBLYLABOUR

Maybe the head of TfL could come to a grand bridge re-opening, with full media publicity, making a speech in which the reasons for the interminable delays are all fully explained and the cost to TfL is clearly set out.  Maybe he could also explain how a city in Japan managed to repair massive damage to a busy city centre road junction created by a collapsing sump hole in just one week, as shown on ITN news recently, but the Wilmer Way footbridge repair has taken two and a half years.  Maybe pigs will fly! 

It does indeed show spectacular incompetence, for which nobody seems to take full responsibility. The state of the area around the bridge at Ollerton Road end is also pretty poor, there is litter everywhere and signs that someone is sleeping under the bridge at night. Given that contractors are working there every day I just hope they are going to clean it up at the end, as leaving it in such a state of neglect is likely to attract more dumping and antisocial behaviour.

Nobody is sleeping under the bridge as i have checked many times in the early hours of the morning just to be sure.

A duvet has been dumped in a bag under the bridge and as Donald mentions its Enfields responsibility to clean it up along with all the other litter.

Despite the public highway being the responsibility of Transport for London, legal responsibility for clearing  any littering is the responsibility of London Borough of Enfield.

In September I confidently predicted that these repairs would not be carried out by the end of 2016. It gives me little pleasue to report that the supports for the footbridge are still swathed in plastic and scaffolding. I actually think that no-one knows how to repair the bridge.

However Merry Xmas everyone (apart from the incompetents at every stage of this sorry saga).

Geoff

Merry Xmas Geoff and all (excepting TfL in this instance). What a mess and what a sorry saga!

If any body is interested the bridge is now open.

Dear Hutch

Well by my reckoning that's exactly THREE YEARS give or take a day or two, That must make the job eligible for some kind of award. I wonder if anyone, anywhere from the commissioners to the designers to the construction engineers to TfL and anyone else has suffered in the slightest as a result of this gigantic cockup. Anyone been censured, demoted, sacked? I rather doubt it. Indeed, has anyone been honest enough to put their hand up and say "Sorry, it was me/us"? I suspect not - all hiding behind corporate anonymity. In what I hope is the end of this sorry saga, it is the complete absence of any acknowledgment of responsibility which is so corrosive.

Geoff

Yes, this sounds all too credible.  You can just see the "commercial confidentiality" excuse being trotted out, as the "matter of national security" one clearly won't wash.  Someone at TfL really should write an account of what happened in this case, whether anyone has faced any sanction or penalty and what lessons have been learnt.  But I won't hold my breath.

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...