The rare and iconic "Tin Tabernacle" in Herbert Road by Bowes Park station is currently under review for demolition and replacement with a new build office and residential development by the site owners the Samaritans Charity.

DSCF8721

The building has remained largely unused for many years and is showing signs of deterioration, but it is a distinctive piece of local architecture and is an important part of local history. 

A similar application by the Samaritans was refused planning permission in 2008.  Consultation by Haringey Council on the current development has attracted significant opposition from local residents - as well as those with an interest in local history including the Hornsey Historical society, The Victorian Society and local historian, author and expert on all things Historic Albert Pinching.

Check the Haringey website for further infomation about the proposals.

Back in March another discussion on this site commented that a similar bulding had been given a Grade II listing - However the Bowes Park building has been deemed not of significant merit to warrant listing.

It would be a shame to see it go - but it would be good if the building in its current form could be put to a positive use.

Does anyone know anything of it's history or use?

Views: 2625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Alison!

Alison M said:

Re Braemar Avenue:  The corrugated iron building next to the church was never a "Tin Tabernacle".  I understand it was a post WW2 building (source of info and picture here :http://www.flickr.com/photos/benbirtwell/3759749850/.)  It was used by the cubs but they moved out about a year ago - think it was in poor repair and unsuitable for continued use.

Hello Caroline:  Yes I would like to volunteer to be on a working party to see if we can encourage the Samaritans to restore this lovely old tin tabernacle.  I will also ask the new residents of 21 Herbert Road, i.e. the house next to Shaftesbury Hall, if they would be willing to join such a working party. 

Ian Greenslade

2 Richmond Road, N11 2QR

On a related note, I just saw that Hackney's Tin Tabernacle is up for sale. 

Just to say, the One Show are doing a piece on Tin Tabernacles on 18 December. The reason I know is a researcher found one of my pics of our local one on Flickr and wanted to use it in a montage during the film. So watch out for it! 

After reading the following on Wikipedia about our Tabernacle: Shaftesbury Hall is a rare example of a 19th century tin tabernacle, which lies abandoned on the western side of Bowes Park station, on Herbert Road. Local residents are trying to get the building listed, to prevent current part-owners The Samaritans from demolishing it and replacing it with a modern office block, I notice there is nothing more abut updated since Feb 2012. Does anyone know what is happening with this?

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...