A new artwork by graffiti artist Banksy appeared overnight on May 13/14 2012.
It is on the wall of the PoundLand shop on the corner of Wood Green High Road and Whymark Avenue at the Turnpike Lane end of the High Road.
The artwork depicts a young boy - Asian in appearance - barefoot and hunched over a sewing machine. A small pipe on the wall is used to attach a string of cheap plastic Union Flag bunting.

Photo by Luke Giles

The Bunting was earlier fixed along the wall - but has become detached.

Looks like a comment on the upcoming Jubilee celebrations, maybe a reference to the London 2012 Olympics. Its siting on the wall of Poundland in Wood Green High Street may have a resonance with the street disturbances and looting of last summer?

What do you think of the work?

Views: 17320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As predicted Kathleen - here is a photo of the site this afternoon (Weds 20th Feb)

in between the text "Danger Thieves" It shows a larger figure appearing to run off clutching a heart. The smaller figure arms aloft looks angry or distraught.

In a separate illustration a small pink dinosaur sits framed by the new plaster.

I expect the owner of this building may spend a considerable amount of their "income" from the sale of the Banksy on paint over the forthcoming months!

Oh isn't that lovely.......  It's really hit the nail on the head, hasn't it.   And thanks for that video, which I have embedded into my article from You Tube - and also I put the bit by the counsellor which Lyndsey posted onto the comments bit as a person wanted to know how we could stop it happening again.  I hope more unofficial graffiti gets put up!

Seeing our Banksy on the auction house catalogue was a kick in the stomach....

There has been a further addition to the Banksy Wall this morning - captured by @MsAntoniaK on Twitter See the image here

Has Banksy been back?   That's brilliant. 

Paddy Power sent me this press release this evening *sigh*:

PADDY POWER PRESS RELEASE

LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANKSY

(18 February 2013) Paddy Power have today opened the betting on how much a Banksy painting will sell for after it was put up for auction on an American website.

The work, which was removed from the side of a Poundland shop in North London, is a 10/11 shot to sell for between $500,000 and $750,000 by the bookmaker with $750,000 to $1,000,000 considered the next most likely region at 5/2.

Elsewhere, Paddy Power are also offering odds of 8/1 on the acclaimed graffiti artist revealing his identity in 2013 while it’s 9/2 for the piece to be returned to its original Wood Green site.

Banksy Jubilee Art          

What will the Banksy Slave Labour (Bunting Boy) sell for?

11/2    Less than $500,000

10/11  $500,000 to $750,000

5/2     $750,000 to $1,000,000

4/1     More than $1 million

Banksy Specials

8/1     Banksy to reveal his identity in 2013

Will the Banksy Jubilee artwork be returned to Wood Green in 2013?

9/2     Yes

1/8     No

Oh gawd - it gets worse...(I do like the title though...) 

I wrote an article on it which you might like.  It's a new website I only started writing for today - there's ads in the middle of the article. Just getting my head round writing for them, but the Banksy theft was inspiring...

http://wizzley.com/banksy-s-street-art-community-art-or-up-for-grabs/

Excellent! Good food for thought there. 

Oh thanks... but forgot to add The Guardian's take on it and only had The Sun's....omission corrected!  :)

The story of the "Missing Banksy" has now made it onto CNN TV News in the US.

(video plays after an annoying ad - sorry!)

Extract of press release from the council:

Haringey Council urges Arts Council to help bring back Banksy

Haringey Council has today written to the Arts Council to ask for help to bring a missing Banksy mural back to the borough....

The council is leading a campaign to bring back Banksy, and has called on the Arts Council to intervene due to the local and national significance of the art work.

Cllr Alan Strickland, Wood Green ward councillor and Cabinet Member for Economic Development,Culture, and Social Inclusion, said: “The Banksy created a huge amount of excitement when it first appeared, and residents are understandably shocked and angry that it has been removed for private sale.

“The community feels that this art work was given to it for free, and that it should be kept in Haringey where it belongs, not sold for a fast buck.

“This is an area that was rocked by riots less than a year before this mural was painted, and for many in the community the painting has become a real symbol of local pride.

“I’ve written to the Arts Council to ask them to explore whether this art work is being exported appropriately.

“We’re asking the Arts Council to intervene because we believe that the strong local and national significance of the mural mean it is wrong to export it.

“We’re determined to do what we can to bring back Banksy to Haringey.”

Hello, probably known already but I heard that, allegedly, the culprits are Wood Green Investments Ltd, a property development company residing in Essex & the 2 shareholders seem to only have £1.5 million between them, the poor things.  I also heard, depressingly, that the Arts Council can only intervene if an artwork is more than 50 years old.  Bizarre, if true.

I can't believe it's 50 years!!   I might go and nick a Damine Hirst in that case....

Awful about the Wood Green Investments (ironically, they aren't investing in Wood Green at all...)

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...