September 2013 will mark the 400th anniversary of the completion of the New River, which runs through Bowes Park.  The river was built to bring clean drinking water into London from Hertfordshire, and still supplies drinking water to the city today.

There are various events going on throughout the year in the different districts through which the river passes.  The Bowes Park Community Association would like to celebrate here as well, and we'd love to hear your ideas about what we should do! 

All ideas are welcome!  Please post them here or email us at bpcanews@googlemail.com

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A jazz orchestra held in the church hall on palmerston road ?

It would be lovely to have some kind of waterside festival on the stretch between Myddleton and Whittington but appreciate there's not much space. 

I wonder if someone artistic could come up with a celebratory art project that people could contribute to over the course of that weekend and have it displayed by the new Green Gym, overlooking the river?

I'll be part of the group walking the full length of the New River that weekend. Wave as we pass through!

hello lindsey i would like to walk too , what day and time is it ?

and meeting point

hope i an make it ,

have a amazing day !

Barbara Hylton

Hi Barbara

It's a 2-day walk with an overnight stay and about 30 miles in total! It's on Sat 28 and Sun 29 September and you can find out more and book here: http://newriver400celebrationwalk-eorg.eventbrite.co.uk/

Pete is also leading some mini-New River walks this spring - the Islington bit to the New River head. There are still places on the March 30th walk: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/event/5129646912/eorg

Cheers! L

FYI Walks this year with the New River Action Group: http://www.newriver.org.uk/

Just saw Lindsey and she pointed me this way.

Ideas might cost money and some a bit out there, but writing them whatever.

• Wondering if someone could go in to a school and do a session with some kids who could then create a mural that is painted along Myddleton Road somewhere or along the river path. Not sure where - maybe the gym area?

• Commission some local artist to work on a piece

• I go to the Camera Club in The Step and I'm wondering if we could all come together as a team and do some photographic storytelling of the New River Path. The people along the river path? The history in some creative way? Exhibit at The Step?

• Am with Lindsey re: waterside festival on a stretch between Myddleton and Whittington. 

• Not sure how it could work, as some of the New River goes underneath, but could be quite cool to do our version of a Flotilla. In kayaks and canoes if health and safety would allow? Might just be on a small stretch of the New River.

• If not a flotilla, maybe some kind of parade similar to what they do for Chinese new year, walking along stretches of the River Path with big effigys of Sir Hugh Myddleton/James the Ist and water dragons. Get the kids involved to make masks etc.

• Festival in Finsbury Gardens. The New River runs right underneath it. It could stretch to the bit of park that leads to the Bounds Green Road too?

Sorry, think the hot chocolate I've just had has made me a bit hyper. Feel free to ignore or take elements. I will be walking with Lindsey and Peter that weekend, but would love to walk through my home patch and feel a party atmosphere.

Hi Liz, I've been leading on the Myddleton Road Market idea. We were thinking it would be nice to tie in a second market with the New River anniversary celebrations. I'll drop you an email.

Lucy

Has there been any progress with any of these ideas please? I know the market will be happening, which is fab, but is there anything else, and is help needed at all?

Some students from London Met have set up a blog collecting events around the anniversary, look: http://newrivereventforum2013.wordpress.com/

The Camera Club are putting together a small exhibition at The Step of life on, around and inspired by the New River. It's running for 2 weeks, on either side of the anniversary weekend. 24th September - 6th October. I shall get in touch with the students from London Met shortly. Thanks Lindsey.

Going back to Mandy's ideas (from February I see, sorry for not joining in earlier) is there any way that health and safety would allow for their to be a great big silly race to take place along that stretch of river? Almost certainly not I would assume but just throwing it out there...if we could partner with one of the canoe clubs in Hackney or Islington to borrow some vessels it could be a bit of daft fun with a perfect natural viewing area from the bank along the way for the crowds to cheer on the participants. We could have a mum's race or a dad's v lads or perhaps even an inter-business competition - The Step versus Vrisaki, Red Sea versus Ayta or even Property Professionals versus Property Zone. Or maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet and it's a stupid monday morning idea.

It would also be great if we could pay tribute in some way to Sir Hugh Myddleton, the man behind this magnificent body of water whose name also marks the street at the heart of our community

I love this idea!

Mat – I love that idea too. Any takers to try and organise it? The health and safety might be an issue more for spectators falling in the river, but could be brilliant.

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...