Hi neighbours

Wouldn't it be great to get a Sunday market going on Myddleton Road. Has anyone ever explored this idea?

I was just reading the paper today and saw a story about a group who regenerate old arcades such as Granville Arcade in Brixton, filling empty units with independent retailers and creative spaces. I thought.. how could some of that spirit be transferred to Myddleton road..? I know there are lots of discussions about how it could be regenerated. Thankfully The Step is coming, which will hopefully kick start something, but also it got my mind thinking - a market would bring people to the area, you wouldn't have to deal with property / council / long lost owners issue of empty shops (although obviously it would be great to have them used in better ways eventually), and it would provide a place for local retailers to sell interesting stuff that you don't find in Wood Green!

My brother lives in Clapton and there are a couple of Sunday Markets. Chatsworth Road has become much more interesting with new independent shops. I dont see why Myddleton Road couldn't go the same way. 

Lucy.

Views: 5923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help pursue the market on Myddleton Road with the folks at Haringey Council and the Myddleton Road Regeneration Group. I am now back at work pretty much full time, plus two small children means I don't have the time to keep on at them about getting this started. This is a matter now of pure persistence. There are a number of reasons why this could easily happen:
- massive community support - over 150 people filled in the online survey
- all the businesses the road are in favour - we've spoken to them
- the ward councillors are in favour
- the regeneration group are very keen on the idea
- Haringey licensing are aware of the plans and may be able to arrange temporary licences.

If you think you can help lead on this let me know and I can email more info and contacts.

Thanks

Lucy

Hello Lucy, I have no experience in setting up markets but think it is a fabulous idea and would be willing to help out with organising this and also would be potentially interested in having a pitch to sell my homemade produce:)  You can email me on dalene@me.com

Thanks Dalene, apologies for lack of response... will be in touch with news. Still think this would be such an exciting addition to Myd Rd.

Congrats on the baby Susie! Hope you are getting on OK with the beautiful life change! I will keep all posted on news. L

Hi Lucy

I too would be really interested to help out with getting the market off the ground - we have just moved to the area and I have a bit of spare time at the moment, so if you want to be in touch with how I can help, just let me know!

Thanks

Anna

Hi Anna

Im so sorry for not replying sooner, I have been mental at work and failed to see your response! Im still in talks with the council (long, slow, repetative... etc) and should know more this month as to wether this is possible. I'll keep you posted on anything we need to do collectively. Thanks for reaching out!

L

Hi Lucy,

Good to hear things are still happening - even if the wheels of power grind ridiculously slowly! 

Look forward to hearing an update. I'm going to a BPCA committee meeting on 8 Jan; If there is an opportunity, I'll mention that it's still ongoing.

Kari

That's great Kari, and there's another Mydleton Road meeting coming up, I'll let you know what the outcome is. Hopefully we can get planning for spring/summer 2013!

The next Myddleton Road Strategy Group meeting on the 10th has to take the final decision on how the remaining money in a regeneration 'pot' will be spent.  The Market idea was one of three that were tabled early last year. Lucy knows the details of the bid that she put in. It is still a good idea, but things have moved on a bit since then. 

It's great to see that others as well as Lucy are so keen.  It would be really good if Anna and Lucy and Kari could have time to discuss it and talk the Myddleton Rd market idea through again before next Thursday, when the MRSG needs to know if this is still a project you wish to do.

It will be important that you know there is the person power, with enough time and energy to not only set the market up, but carry it on. 

Good luck with it.  Caroline (Simpson) and Cathy (Herman),

BPCA and the MRSG

Thanks Caroline - good idea. Kari - Anna - if you are free to meet before the 10th Jan please let me know, it would be great to discuss ideas again. cheers. Lucy

Hello

Yes I would be able to meet before the 10th but unfortunately am not free on the 10th itself to go to the meeting. But I would still like to be involved if possible - let me know when would be good for you to meet.

Thanks!

Anna

Great! Thats fine, Im happy to go to the meeting. How about Tues early eve? At the Step?

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...