Hi neighbours

Wouldn't it be great to get a Sunday market going on Myddleton Road. Has anyone ever explored this idea?

I was just reading the paper today and saw a story about a group who regenerate old arcades such as Granville Arcade in Brixton, filling empty units with independent retailers and creative spaces. I thought.. how could some of that spirit be transferred to Myddleton road..? I know there are lots of discussions about how it could be regenerated. Thankfully The Step is coming, which will hopefully kick start something, but also it got my mind thinking - a market would bring people to the area, you wouldn't have to deal with property / council / long lost owners issue of empty shops (although obviously it would be great to have them used in better ways eventually), and it would provide a place for local retailers to sell interesting stuff that you don't find in Wood Green!

My brother lives in Clapton and there are a couple of Sunday Markets. Chatsworth Road has become much more interesting with new independent shops. I dont see why Myddleton Road couldn't go the same way. 

Lucy.

Views: 5923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yesterday I was down in Green Lanes past Manor House and I noticed Haringey's lamp post banners advertising their markets everywhere. Perhaps if this one gets off the ground we'll see it up there on the banners too! That would bring even more people into Myddleton Road and to The Step.

The derelict Whitecross Street in Islington was revitalised thanks to a very popular daily food market:

http://www.whitecrossstreet.co.uk/

Thanks Max. Same can be said for Exmouth market apparently!

Hello all,

Happy new Year to you! And can I apologise for taking a while to post on this subject, Lucy and I have been playing telephone tag on this and haven't yet managed to speak, but we will.

Firstly, it is a great idea, and I wanted to be really unambiguous in letting you know that the three of us local Councillors will support you 100% in looking in to and getting a market going on Myddleton Road.

Secondly, in answer to the question, yes, there is a Myddleton Road regen group and we have been meeting for several years building on the brilliant work of the BPCA and individuals in the area over the last 15 years or so. It was the Myddelton Road group that got the parking scheme put in, the new heritage lighting, re-surfacing, re-paving, secured the funding for 128 as a community space and has helped focus funding into the garden and other environmental improvements. We also commissioned architects Butler Hegarty to produce this brillant report last year about protecting and restoring the heritage in the street. We also secured Council money to replace old-style awnings on a number of Myddelton's shops and in the next year we hope to secure further English Heritage money to restore some of the oldest and most precious shop fronts.

The aims now are as follows:

- Produce with the Council and publish a new planning framwework for the road including development design guidelines. Within this it may be sensible to encourage a return to high quality housing of many of the commercial properties in certain parts of the street.

- Save and restore the best heritage properties

- Maintain a focus on keeping the local environment at a high standard, including swift action on any developer who changes a shopfront without permission or breaches planning rules for a conservation area.

We did consider a market several years back, and at the time we came to the conclusion that other priorities (mainly environmental) were more pressing. But with a number of new businesses coming to Myddleton (can't wait until the Step opens its doors!) and some more investment in the space around the community garden and the small meadow opposite coming in the next year, it seems like a great chance to re-think it, and if that comes from the community itself all the better.

With a slightly different Haringey hat on I Chair the Alexandra Palace Trust board and its trading Company and I can always find out the details of the people who run the AP market and make the connection for you.

Let me know how I can help.

Matt

Hi Diana

The Step may be opening sooner than you think!!!!! Especially if mine and Nell's sleepless nights are anything to go by! We'll be doing a full update very soon but if anybody wanted to pop their heads in this weekend or next and say hi it would be lovely to see some friendly faces!

Best wishes

Mat

Good news, Mat - will try and pop in!

Kari

Hello Matt

Apologies - I only just got your voicemail today - phone playing up! Thanks so much for calling/writing back and offering support - some of your colleagues have also emailed with the same, which is brilliant. You mentioned putting a market on the agenda of your next meeting, that would be great and I'd be happy to come along and share ideas. Just let me know when that is happening. In the meantime I have called Haringey - had to go from dept to dept, left a message, not sure if I'll get a call back but I will try again. The good thing is that everyone I spoke to is very aware of Myddleton Road and its need for regeneration.

Speaking to the AP farmers market people would be excellent, I think at this point just finding out if it is feasable from those that have been through the process would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Speak soon

Lucy

Cllr Matt Cooke said:

Hello all,

Happy new Year to you! And can I apologise for taking a while to post on this subject, Lucy and I have been playing telephone tag on this and haven't yet managed to speak, but we will.

Firstly, it is a great idea, and I wanted to be really unambiguous in letting you know that the three of us local Councillors will support you 100% in looking in to and getting a market going on Myddleton Road.

Secondly, in answer to the question, yes, there is a Myddleton Road regen group and we have been meeting for several years building on the brilliant work of the BPCA and individuals in the area over the last 15 years or so. It was the Myddelton Road group that got the parking scheme put in, the new heritage lighting, re-surfacing, re-paving, secured the funding for 128 as a community space and has helped focus funding into the garden and other environmental improvements. We also commissioned architects Butler Hegarty to produce this brillant report last year about protecting and restoring the heritage in the street. We also secured Council money to replace old-style awnings on a number of Myddelton's shops and in the next year we hope to secure further English Heritage money to restore some of the oldest and most precious shop fronts.

The aims now are as follows:

- Produce with the Council and publish a new planning framwework for the road including development design guidelines. Within this it may be sensible to encourage a return to high quality housing of many of the commercial properties in certain parts of the street.

- Save and restore the best heritage properties

- Maintain a focus on keeping the local environment at a high standard, including swift action on any developer who changes a shopfront without permission or breaches planning rules for a conservation area.

We did consider a market several years back, and at the time we came to the conclusion that other priorities (mainly environmental) were more pressing. But with a number of new businesses coming to Myddleton (can't wait until the Step opens its doors!) and some more investment in the space around the community garden and the small meadow opposite coming in the next year, it seems like a great chance to re-think it, and if that comes from the community itself all the better.

With a slightly different Haringey hat on I Chair the Alexandra Palace Trust board and its trading Company and I can always find out the details of the people who run the AP market and make the connection for you.

Let me know how I can help.

Matt

Hi Lucy, over on Harringay Online, Hugh (Flouch, who runs the site) has just announced some great news, that the Ladder has won a bid for some funding (£1 million plus) to improve the Green Lanes shopping area between Manor House and Turnpike Lane.  Boris is announcing it to the press today.  Apparently this bid was driven by a group called The Green Lanes Strategy Group working with the Harringay Traders Association.  I wonder if it would be worth liaising with someone in this group (I'm sure Hugh could facilitate) who maybe able to offer some inspiration?  

Here is the link to the thread on HoL - http://bit.ly/zLItL1

Thanks Diana! Lets meet up and chat about it, we could convene @ the Step for a coffee when its opened or we could go along to the next meeting re Myddleton Road?

Lucy

Diana Ferguson said:

Hi Lucy and everyone else who's replied: I think a Myddleton Road street market is an inspired idea. It seems so obvious now that you've suggested it, Lucy, as all great ideas are - obvious once someone has suggested them. The area BADLY needs a centre, a focus. Nice people, nice area but nowhere to go! And there'd be much more social mixing if we all had a place to go to meet each other and a street market would really help with this and would make the area seem more lively.

I'm up for being involved in ideas/organisation etc, if we want to get together a team?

By the way, what is happening about The Step? Does anyone know when it is opening? (I hope it still is.)

Diana

Hey Karen,

Thats really interesting as i was reading all about the Outer London Fund and wondered where the round two money would go. I wonder if Boris will offer any more of this fund...

Good for Harringay!

L

MrsBaldwin said:

Hi Lucy, over on Harringay Online, Hugh (Flouch, who runs the site) has just announced some great news, that the Ladder has won a bid for some funding (£1 million plus) to improve the Green Lanes shopping area between Manor House and Turnpike Lane.  Boris is announcing it to the press today.  Apparently this bid was driven by a group called The Green Lanes Strategy Group working with the Harringay Traders Association.  I wonder if it would be worth liaising with someone in this group (I'm sure Hugh could facilitate) who maybe able to offer some inspiration?  

Looks like the Outer London Fund has all been awarded now with this second round, the last. Lets keep an eye on anything similar that might be available..

Lucy Whitehead said:

Hey Karen,

Thats really interesting as i was reading all about the Outer London Fund and wondered where the round two money would go. I wonder if Boris will offer any more of this fund...

Good for Harringay!

L

MrsBaldwin said:

This weekend the Big Green Bookshop  - in Brampton Park Road (just off Wood Green High Road) will be holding the latest in their series of Sunday Markets in the area around the shop ... it may be worth going along to have a look and to check out how they set it up.

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...