A Community Network for Bowes Park and Bounds Green
Time: March 31, 2012 from 2pm to 5pm
Street: High Street (Opp Great Railway Tavern)
Website or Map: http://www.communigate.co.uk/…
Event Type: local history, architecture
Event Added By: Richard McKeever
Latest Activity: Mar 29, 2012
There has been a church and a burial ground on the same site in Hornsey probably since Saxon times. The mediaeval church was demolished in 1831 (apart from the tower) and replaced by another which was itself demolished in 1927. On the site of the present St Mary's Infants' School, a third, larger church was completed in 1889, but soon suffered structural problems due to subsidence: this was demolished as recently as 1969.
The tower is all that remains of these structures. It was heightened in 1832, probably using some of the stone from the demolished mediaeval nave. The lower portion of the tower bears much evidence of its mediaeval origins. The veiw from the top is amazing why not take the chance to visit this remarkable monument and support the friends group who look after it.
Add a Comment