Does anyone know what has happened to The Prince?

This is the lovely pub near the obelisk, on Trinity Rd, at the edge of Trinity Gardens.  It is a locally listed building.

In the last few years it was run by two Egyptian brothers from Cairo.  It has wonderful internal spaces, and it would be a crying shame to lose it as a pub.

A few weeks before Christmas I noticed it was closed.  The lights on the bar pumps were still on but all dead inside.  Since then it has had windows broken and outside furniture chucked around. Looks very bad now.

Does anyone know?

And is there anything we can do?  Community pub?  Encourage Weatherspoons to take it over?  ????

Caroline Simpson

Views: 7276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With 28 pubs in the UK closing each week, perhaps something we can do to help preserve this grand ole pub's future (and as suggested at the start of this thread) is to register it as an 'Asset of Community Value'. Through the Localism Act, the Government has introduced new powers for communities in England to nominate valued facilities such as pubs as ACVs. Where pubs are listed this enables communities to “stop the clock” for up to six months if they’re put up for sale to consider options for saving the pub. More here:

http://www.camra.org.uk/information-for-community-groups  

I've checked CAMRAs list and only The Antwerp Arms & The Lordship are listed as ACVs in Haringey. We would need to demonstrate that at least 21 people from the local community support the listing of the pub, and I'm prepared to take a lead - anyone else in? Could we make an application under the auspices of this website?

I'll certainly lend my support Richard,as I'm sure several people from this site will.The Fox in Palmers Green (Enfield I know) has an ACV status I believe,and this despite the fact it is under no immediate threat of closure.Just done as a 'precautionary' measure I think.So somewhere in such a state of flux has the Prince should certainly deserve one.

I certainly support an ACV application; 15% there already!

And me.

Caroline

Me too.

Me too. 

Hi Richard

This is a great initiative. I'm in!

Just last month - up the road in Palmers Green - The Fox became Enfield's first "Asset of Community Value" More info here including a helpful extract of the application.

The LB Haringey website has full details on the procedure, which looks pretty straightforward, maybe Bounds Green Councillors could be approached for support?

Perhaps we could put together a simple 'petition' or something to sign that we have on the BPCA stall at Fins Feste on Saturday.  A little bit about the pub, a photo, and layout for names and contact details for supporters of this idea?

Thank you, Richard McKeever, that's really helpful. In terms of simple numbers, I suspect we can raise 21 signatories from this site alone but local councillors would certainly add weight & gravitas to the application. I'll track them down. P'raps the wider promotional idea suggested by Caroline Simpson could come later once the app is in - and especially if a real threat to the pub's future materialises

Thanks Councillor contact info here: http://www.bowesandbounds.org/page/democracy-2

I noticed it was boarded up yesterday.

Looks like the council already has at least an awareness of The Prince as it has been listed in Haringey’s REGISTER OF LOCAL LISTED BUILDINGS OF MERIT since 1997.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/register_of_local_listed_buildings_of_merit.pdf

This is not a full English Heritage graded listing though

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...