A Community Network for Bowes Park and Bounds Green
Assistant Chef required with a minimum of 3 years experience.
The Step (www.thestep.co.uk) is a bar, cafe & gallery aiming to kick-start the regeneration of a unique street in the Bowes Park Conservation Area of north London.
We have recently increased our food offer and we are intending to further expand the business this year. To take our thriving and unique bar, performance venue and community hub to the next stage, we are recruiting for the key role of Assistant Chef to join our team.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic chef with a real sense of urgency to join our kitchen team. Applicants must be keen to learn and work hard. We need someone who is able to support the Head Chef in delivering an offer of freshly prepared, home-cooked and essentially British food to high commercial standards. You will have the ability to work collaboratively with the Head Chef and other key members of staff.
We are passionate about securing The Step as an asset for the local area and to further regenerate the street. If you share our values and relish the challenge of making our vision a reality, we would like to hear from you.
The Assistant Chef will take responsibility for the kitchen operation and food offer in the absence of the Head Chef and work alongside the Head Chef at other times. The role includes assisting in designing the food menu; sourcing ingredients; leading and overseeing food preparation; line management of kitchen staff; and keeping the kitchen clean, safe and compliant. You will need to work closely with the Head Chef and Owners to achieve a great all-round experience for our customers.
• Working with the Head Chef to design an overall strategy for the food offer
• Working with the Head Chef to design the regular food menu
• Working with the Head Chef to design our event catering offer
• Sourcing quality ingredients, from local suppliers where possible
• Working with the Head Chef and Owners to achieve smooth service to table
• Working with other kitchen staff to ensure high quality food preparation
• Liaising with suppliers
• Ensuring compliance with food safety regulations including meeting HACCP requirements
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Previous experience as an Assistant Chef or Chef de Partie
• Previous experience of designing and delivering a fresh food menu
• Previous experience of sourcing local and ethical ingredients
• Creative approach to promoting and developing the business
• Strong understanding of the legislative requirements for food safety
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a friendly, personal approach
• A higher qualification in catering or hospitality
• Passion for the arts, community and the role of independent food businesses
Casual shift work at 40 to 45 hours a week. Changing day, evening and weekend shifts. Hourly rate dependent on experience + other benefits.
How to apply
Please send a full CV and separate covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you want to be part of The Step team, to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications for this role is 9 September 2013.
For an informal discussion, please contact Nell Riches at the above email address.
Add a Comment