There was an unusually loud sound on Friday around mid-day. I looked up to see what can only have been an Osprey V-22 tiltrotor plane flying low across Bounds Green in a northerly direction.

It took me a day to find online a plane that matched what I'd seen in the sky. On reading further about the Osprey I discovered that the only country that deploys them is the USA. Airforce 1 owns a few of these too. Maybe they're being used to help prepare for Michelle Obama's impending visit for the Olympics?

A far more ordinary explanation came to light today, the Farnborough Air show took place from Monday to Friday last week and the Osprey has been visiting for the occasion. I had a rare sighting though, the last time the Osprey was on public show in UK was 2006.

Did you spot the plane too?

Views: 644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I heard it then saw it. Had no idea what it was and assumed it was Olympic security stuff. Thanks for digging around and sharing, Kevin. 

The noise of It properly freaked my cats out!

why is the USAF flying in UK airspace? i was in Dalston yesterday and quite clearly saw a Drone flying over head! worrying as this equipment was designed for malevolent purposes! Olympics or No Olympics, this is not what the UK is about! next up, Show me your papers! 

Yes! I was in the garden at home in Wood Green and heard then saw it too. I assumed it was part of the build up for Olympic security, but the Farnborough Air Show explains it all!

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...