As we have pointed out elsewhere on the site preparation for the Local Council elections across London are gearing up as candidates are declared and party manifestos finalised.

So before the canvassing begins in earnest we are interested here in discussing what are the issues of local concern - what are the things we want our elected representatives to focus on...can we construct a Community Manifesto?

This is not intended to be a discussion about competing ideologies ... rather we'd like to understand what are the themes and approaches that are relevant to our little corner of north London - We know from the We Love Myddleton Road initiative that local people feel a significant investment in our area and are prepared to work hard to make a difference. So what are the issues we want our representatives to tackle what are the local problems that need a solution? What can we work on together?

Is it Environment? Education? Economics? ... or something else?

Please post any ideas and thoughts - let's try and get a few ideas of issues and themes - then as we get nearer to the election date we'll use the content of this discussion and invite candidates of all parties to respond to our collective concerns.

Views: 659

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One issue that I think is increasingly important is inequality - particularly income inequality.

Whilst this is probably outside the scope of local councillors to rectify - responding the impact of inequalities is pertinent to local authorities. In both Enfield and Haringey council areas there is significant disparity between the wealthy west and the struggling east in each borough. Nobody wants a repeat of the summer riots of 2011 ... but when desperation is seen cheek by jowl with affluence it is not a surprise that tensions overran to rioting.

There has been considerable academic work done on the impact of inequality - most notably the book "The Spirit Level" whose authors Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett undertook extensive research amongst developed economies to demonstrate a link between inequality and almost every social ill - mental health, drug abuse, child neglect, teen pregnancy - even life expectancy all correlate to a more unequal wage distribution.

If a canvasser came to my door asking how we could work together to achieve a more equal society I would be amazed .... but enthused. When it comes round to election time I dislike the way local politics has become almost "consumerist" Offering a deal "vote for us and you will win...lower taxes, more spending on schools etc" a piecemeal approach...

A principled stand on a tackling the local consequences of major cross-cutting problem would be a refreshing approach.

What a splendid statement, I totally agree... 

What a lovely idea, but in a climate of so much distrust in politicians, I think we must be fair to our current and future councillors. 

Even our council would never be able to fully deliver on inequality such is the amount of power that still resides in central government when it comes to setting the general tone in social policy...but we should put a pin in it and bring it up for the candidates in the general elections next year!!

Ashleena

I think you are absolutely right that central government has the key role in this - however my view was that local councils end up dealing with the consequences of inequality through their role in providing housing, education and other public services, and potentially they could do so in a way that tried to re-balance the impact of national government policy.

Overall the approach of influencing those with the most power to prevent problems occurring - rather than coping with the consequences - has to be the right one, and the General Election next year is not that far away!

I do agree that we need to be fair to current and future Councillors - I am convinced that people choose to become Cllrs and MPs out a desire to make a positive difference...  the distrust and blanket criticism of politicians is dangerous and potentially damaging to democracy... but I also think that a vibrant democracy requires ongoing active engagement with local political issues ... not just turning out every four years to put a cross on a ballot paper.

Concentrating on Myddleton Road, I think that there are a number of things that potential councillors could do to supports its revival:

• Installing a permanent CCTV camera at the junction of Myddleton and Marlborough to discourage crime and antisocial behaviour
  • Take a tough line on planning applications and enforcement on MR
  • Find ways to provide support and adivce for potential new businesses on the road
  • Improve the reliability of waste collection and send out pictogram leaflets showing the times of collections
  • Consult on an introduce a planning policy document (Planning Policy Guidance Note) specifically for Myddleton Road so that it is easier for council officers to argue for retention of large shops rather than removal or reduction in size in favour of flats.

What do people think of these ideas? I am sure there is lots more that could be done.

Housing is one of the biggest issues for London as a whole, with stupid prices for buying and increasingly renting and a shortage of housing stock. The flat above me came up for rent recently and for three days people queued up to see it - a one and a half bed first floor flat that I know went for at least the same rental price as my bigger, 2 dbl bed, ground floor with a garden. A young couple with three kids have moved in. The situation we find ourselves in where you have to turn up with deposit cash in your pocked on first viewing to be able to secure somewhere to rent is ridiculous. I really hope I don't have to move again soon. 

Tackling housing issues on a local level is hard but I want our councillors to be strong on planning enforcement and push for good quality homes, crackdown on beds in shed and rogue landlords and letting agents.

The new labour candidate for Bounds Green - Clare Bull - did knock on my door and asked me about parking on my road. Wish I'd thought to expound on bigger issues like inequality and housing then! I do hope the candidates read this forum. 

An excellent forum.   The concept of community is important and this is a good opportunity to think before the knock comes.  Alan Sitkin left a message on my phone re labour votes and I have yet to ring him back - partly because I was thinking about what to say to him.  You have given me some ideas Lindsey - thanks.

Hi Liz,

Pls ring me whenever convenient for you, contact details on the Bowes Labour website

Re Lindsay's post, for instance, there is the landlord registration currently scheme being consulted on by our Administration. We'd be one of the first in the country to implement this, if it happens. Although other boroughs have variants thereof. It's certainly getting a lot of discussion, be interesting to know what you and friends think

Hi Alan - I have just sent this email to BHORA about the revised plans for the NHHT on Bowes road.  I'm putting it up on here as well - living on Brownlow Road across two councils I think it can be useful to cross fertilise ideas and draw on strengths across both areas.

Hi,

We have received another letter about the revised planning development on Bowes Road - what action are residents taking this time? Is there a sample letter expressing objections to the revised planning that I can send?

Thanks

Liz

Someone who has just moved into a house near to me in Brownlow Road has been unable to place her two children in Enfield primary schools - and yet more housing is planned in this area?

Landlord registration sounds an interesting idea - so that landlords have to have some positive input into the area where they have housing.

Thanks for contributing to this forum.

Hi Alan,

I see you are on line now - I will ring you next week.

Hey,

If anybody would like any inspiration for the manifesto, I have attached one that Islington's community and voluntary sector put together.

This will be put to candidates nearer the May deadline...obviously, it's very high level as it's designed for a council-wide debate, not a local one like ours, but I thought it might provide food for thought all the same...

A

Attachments:

Interesting to see what debates there are in other communities.  I have now sent a letter to Enfield re planning applications on Bowes Road.  I received a really helpful sample letter from BHORA.

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...