Following our recent discussions about the Prince Pub on the corner of Finsbury Road and Trinity Road a formal application for listing the premises as an Asset of Community Value has been prepared by Richard Matz.  A copy of the application is available to download.

Now, to complete the formal application, we need a minimum of 21 site members based in Haringey or an adjacent borough to sign-up and confirm their support.

We have a simple and secure online system  - please add your name address and postcode information to this simple online form, and show Haringey Council how much support there is locally to preserve this building as a local community asset.

Thank You!

Views: 5239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wheels and cogs are turning...

Subject: RE: The Prince (of Wales) Public House, 1 Finsbury Road, Wood Green N22 8PA‏‏

Hi Richard  

Thank you for your nomination form for the listing of Prince of Wales Pub on the 27th August 2015. A decision will be made by the 22nd October 2015.

If we have any further queries we will contact you as soon as possible.  If you have any further queries for us please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Mercy Oruwari

Planning Policy, Design & Conservation Support Officer

Request for further historical information:

Hi Richard

The ACV Panel has reviewed the Nomination form and have requested some additional information. Please could you provide more evidence of how the pub met the objective of furthering the social well-being and interests of the local community in the past. If you need further clarification of the information we are requesting please do not hesitate to get in contact.

Regards

Mercy Oruwari

Planning Policy, Design & Conservation Support Officer

Tis a pity that the mismanagement and under-development of the site in recent years has detracted from its earlier history, and the future potential, of a place with community significance. So despite amendment, it looks as if the weaknesses in our application identified earlier on this thread by Adrian Essex still stand. Consequently I’m crowd-sourcing you all for further information about past uses of the pub.

Richard McKeever writes:

I can only think of fairly recent and short-lived music nights on Saturdays around three or so years ago. I believe it was also a meeting place for members of the Bowes Park choir when they first formed and rehearsed across the road...

Any further info on this use or others would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I’ll trawl the B&BC site for examples of people on this forum asking for community spaces to use for such things, as well as meet ups as suggested by  Lindsey Berthoud.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance

It's a lovely looking building, but I don't think it's ever going to work as a pub because of it's location.

Hi Amanda, what's your reservation with the location? It's practically your local (according to Google Earth it's 380 metres from the furthest point of Canning Crescent to The Prince as the crow flies).  You could easily patronise a revamped Prince if you so wished!

I don't live on Canning Crescent. Only a fool would willingly out there actual home address on a public forum.

It's in the right location for those that live near it. Also close to North - South bus routes and on an East - West bus route (221) 

What's the problem?

About 10-15 years ago, the Prince was run by a woman called Sue who used to be extremely supportive of local musicians and would put on live music every week. My band at the time, "The Drive", played some of our best gigs there and sometimes up to 200 people crammed in to watch us. We were also friends with other bands who played there who would say the same about the place.

It was a great music venue and a super place for people from the area to meet up. 

The Prince has special memories for me, it was one of the first pubs I ever visited in London, back in 1986.  I was fresh down from the north, and one of my new friends lived round the corner in Clarence Road.  (I never thought I'd end up living in the area myself 30 years later.)   I visited for a tuna bake or similar student fare, and then we wandered to the local, and it was like a make-believe cockney boozer, very friendly and welcoming, and a singalong round the joanna with the entire pub belting out the old favourites!  I spent a lot of time thinking that all London pubs were like that.  Would be great to see in back in business

Lovely memories - more please! x

Final submissions have to be in by Monday 05/10/15, so last call for further contributions!

Success!

Haringey Council have accepted our application to have The Prince listed as an Asset of Community Value (as of 08/10/15). The Freeholder now has two months to appeal the decision. The Listing lasts for 5 years.

This does not guarantee the pub's future given the vagaries of the free market but any plans for inappropriate development of the site will now be put on hold for 6 months to give the local community an opportunity to respond with its own proposals (as happened with the Antwerp Arms in Tottenham).

A big shout of thanks to Richard McKeever at Bowes & Bounds Connected and all the contributing members of this website who have made this happen - and to our Councillors, Joanna Christophides, Ali Demirci and Clare Bull for their influential support.

RSS

Connecting the communities of Bowes Park and Bounds Green in north London.

Featured Content

Translate this website

© 2024   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...